Combining methodological and theoretical arguments with empirical case-studies and written with Elster's customary verve and economy, this book has great cross-disciplinary appeal. Preface and acknowledgments; Part I. A Plea for Mechanisms: 1. Introduction; 2. Explaining by mechanisms; 3. Proverbial mechanisms; 4. Mechanisms in Montaigne; 5. Mechanisms in Tocqueville; 6.
Some elementary mechanisms; 7. Molecular mechanisms; 8. From mechanisms to laws; 9. A plea for disaggregation; Part II. Emotions before Psychology: 1. Aristotle on the emotions; 3. The French moralists; 4. Emotion in literature; Part III. Social Emotions in Historical Context: 1.
Shame and social norms; 3. Envy in social life; 4. Honor, duels, and feuds; Part IV.
Rationality and the Emotions: 1. Skip to search Skip to main content. Reporting from:. Your name. Your email. Send Cancel. Check system status. Toggle navigation Menu.
- Monitoring Building Structures.
- Alchemies of the Mind: Rationality and the Emotions - Jon Elster - Google книги.
- RELATED CATEGORIES.
- Jon Elster: The Alchemies of the Mind.
Name of resource. Problem URL. Describe the connection issue. SearchWorks Catalog Stanford Libraries. Alchemies of the mind : rationality and the emotions. Responsibility Jon Elster.
Jon Elster - Wikipedia
Imprint Cambridge, U. Physical description xi, p. Online Available online. Full view.
Green Library. E47 Unknown. More information about this seller Contact this seller.
- ISBN 13: 9780521644877.
- Alchemies of the Mind?
- Alchemies of the Mind: Rationality and the Emotions / Edition 1;
- Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life?
- William Ian Miller reviews ‘Alchemies of the Mind’ by Jon Elster · LRB 10 August ;
- Church Militant: Bishop Kung and Catholic Resistance in Communist Shanghai.
Book Description Cambridge University Press. Book Description Cambridge University Press, Never used! This item is printed on demand.
- William Blake on his poetry and painting : a study of A descriptive catalogue, other prose writings and Jerusalem.
- The Complete Poems and Translations (Penguin Classics).
- Algebraic and Geometric Combinatorics.
- Love and rationality: on some possible rational effects of love!
- Alchemies of the Mind.
Seller Inventory Book Description Condition: New. Seller Inventory n.
See a Problem?
Brand New! Language: English. Brand new Book. Drawing on history, literature, philosophy and psychology, Elster presents a complete account of the role of the emotions in human behaviour. While acknowledging the importance of neurophysiology and laboratory experiment for the study of emotions, Elster argues that the serious student of the emotions can learn more from the great thinkers and writers of the past, from Aristotle to Jane Austen. He attaches particular importance to the work of the French moralists, notably La Rochefoucauld, who demonstrated the way esteem and self-esteem shape human motivation.
The book also maintains a running dialogue with economists and rational-choice theorists.
ISBN 13: 9780521644877
Combining methodological and theoretical arguments with empirical case-studies and written with Elster's customary verve and economy, this book has great cross-disciplinary appeal. Seller Inventory APC New Book. Shipped from UK.